Florida Mango's Sap will make you Itch

I love fresh fruit, any kind of fruit. But, I am especially happy to find free, fresh, and picked by me. I have lived in Florida for some 20 years now. So, while showing a vacant lot with a Mango tree, I decided to pick one. I never heard that they ooze a sap and are related to the poison ivy and poison sumac family. My face is swollen, one eye shut. I have never experienced anything like this since I was 10 years old and found out I was alergic to poison ivy. 

 

If you are not familiar with how to pick Mangos safely, stay away!  

 

 

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poison_ivy

 

Mango Toxicity to Hypersensitive Persons

The sap which exudes from the stalk close to the base of the fruit is somewhat milky at first, also yellowish-resinous. It becomes pale-yellow and translucent when dried. It contains mangiferen, resinous acid, mangiferic acid, and the resinol, mangiferol. It, like the sap of the trunk and branches and the skin of the unripe fruit, is a potent skin irritant, and capable of blistering the skin of the normal individual. As with poison ivy, there is typically a delayed reaction. Hypersensitive persons may react with considerable swelling of the eyelids, the face, and other parts of the body. They may not be able to handle, peel, or eat mangos or any food containing mango flesh or juice. A good precaution is to use one knife to peel the mango, and a clean knife to slice the flesh to avoid contaminating the flesh with any of the resin in the peel.

The leaves contain the glucoside, mangiferine. In India, cows were formerly fed mango leaves to obtain from their urine euxanthic acid which is rich yellow and has been used as a dye. Since continuous intake of the leaves may be fatal, the practice has been outlawed.

When mango trees are in bloom, it is not uncommon for people to suffer itching around the eyes, facial swelling and respiratory difficulty, even though there is no airborne pollen. The few pollen grains are large and they tend to adhere to each other even in dry weather. The stigma is small and not designed to catch windborne pollen. The irritant is probably the vaporized essential oil of the flowers which contains the sesquiterpene alcohol, mangiferol, and the ketone, mangiferone.

Mango wood should never be used in fireplaces or for cooking fuel, as its smoke is highly irritant.

<!-- -->

                                                                             

For specific home sales information or free Market Analysis contact:

 

Ellen Dittman, Watson Realty Corp.

 

Reo.ellen@gmail.com

 

904 535 1199 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Short Sale Help!

                                                 

     Watson Realty Corp.        

153 Blanding Blvd

Orange Park, FL 32073

Cell (904) 535-1199

Office (904) 269-1270

__________________________________________________________________

Designation Group

 

 

 

eNewsletter Sign Up 

PLEASE SEE MY LISTINGS BELOW: PLEASE PASS ON TO ANYONE WHO YOU KNOW IS LOOKING FOR A HOME OR LAND. THANK YOU FOR ALLOWING ME TO ASSIST IN YOUR PROPERTY SEARCH!

 

 

Comment balloon 2 commentsEllen Dittman • June 06 2010 05:05PM
Florida Mango's Sap will make you Itch
share
I love fresh fruit, any kind of fruit. But, I am especially happy to find free, fresh, and picked by me. I have lived in Florida for some 20 years now. So, while showing a vacant lot with a Mango tree, I decided to pick one. I never heard that they… more
COMMUNITY GARDEN:A great place to network
share
A community garden is a great place to meet your neighbors and network too. Even the children in the community can get involved. Invest a Tax Refund in Your Home: $500 Projects Here are five great ideas for investing a tax refund… more